On April 1, 2004, Bayview Community Hospice and CommunityCARE Home Hospice
merged together to form one non-profit organization. The new organization
was named Alliance Hospice.
The movement to found Bayview Community Hospice began in 1988. A steering committee was formed in January 1988 at the urging of bereavement counsellor Pauline Faull. Ms. Faull had worked as a nurse in Ireland where the hospice movement is more highly developed. The first board meeting was held in September 1989 with Doreen Thibert as the Chair. The first volunteer training took place the following month. Bayview Community Hospice was incorporated as a charitable organization in 1990. Bayview's traditional service territory was from St. Clair Avenue north to Steeles Avenue, from Victoria Park Avenue west to the Humber River.
CommunityCARE Home Hospice has been providing service to clients in the greater Toronto area for 14 years. Founded in 1990 as AIDSCare by Metropolitan Community Church of Toronto, the hospice focused exclusively on services for people with AIDS. In 1997, the services of CommunityCARE were expanded to encompass all life threatening illnesses. Since its inception, CommunityCARE has served over 1200 people. CommunityCARE's traditional service territory was from St. Clair Avenue south to Lake Ontario, from Victoria Park Avenue west to the Humber River.
Alliance Hospice serves between 450 and 500 people each year and provides approximately 15,000 hours of care.